UNISON is the largest Public Services Trade Union in the UK, with more than 1.3 million members.
Cumbria County Branch represents approximately 6,000 full and part-time members in over 800 public, community based and private sector workplaces and is Cumbria County Council’s largest Trade Union.
The majority of our members are employed in Local Government by Cumbria County Council and we also cover members employed by:-
- Eden District Council
- Barrow Borough Council
- Schools and Academies
- Further and Higher Education including University of Cumbria
- Baxter Storey
- Cumbria Waste
- Lake District National Park Authority
- Impact Housing Association
- Private Residential Care
- Charities & Voluntary Organisations
Over 7 million workers in the UK belong to a Trade Union.
Trade Union’s aim to protect and advance the interests of its members in the workplace by:
- negotiating agreements with employers on pay and conditions
- discussing major changes to the workplace such as redundancies
- discussing members’ concerns with employers
- accompanying members in disciplinary and grievance meetings
- providing members with legal and financial advice
- providing education facilities and certain consumer benefits such as discounted insurance