UNISON is the largest Public Services Trade Union in the UK, with more than 1.3 million members.
The majority of our members are employed in Local Government by Cumbria County Council and we also cover members employed by:-
- Eden District Council
- Barrow Borough Council
- Schools and Academies
- Further and Higher Education including University of Cumbria
- Baxter Storey
- Cumbria Waste
- Lake District National Park Authority
- Impact Housing Association
- Private Residential Care
- Charities & Voluntary Organisations
Over 7 million workers in the UK belong to a Trade Union.
Trade Union’s aim to protect and advance the interests of its members in the workplace by:
- negotiating agreements with employers on pay and conditions
- discussing major changes to the workplace such as redundancies
- discussing members’ concerns with employers
- accompanying members in disciplinary and grievance meetings
- providing members with legal and financial advice
- providing education facilities and certain consumer benefits such as discounted insurance
UNISON is working around the clock to support our members and keyworkers on key issues including pay during school and workplace closures, sickness absence, self-isolation or caring for dependants, access to PPE and other critical health & safety issues.
There has never been a more important time to be a UNISON Member, to be protected at home and work, and to be part of the Trade Union Movement.
In accordance with Government guidance on Covid-19, the Branch Office is currently closed and we are working from home. If you need advice and support from one of our Branch Officers please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org stating who you are employed by, your workplace, and the nature of your enquiry and we will get one of the team to contact you as soon as possible; alternatively, you can leave a voicemail on the Branch Office phone at 01228 815681 and one of the team will get back to you as soon as possible.
Calls are monitored throughout the day on Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm.